+ Design is manufactured & 15 pairs of socks
+ 10 pairs of socks
+ 5 pairs of socks
New Avenues for Youth is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the prevention and intervention of youth homelessness. Their mission? To work in partnership with the community to prevent youth homelessness and provide young people experiencing or at risk of homelessness with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. Through educational services, job training, supportive housing, providing meals, and the other incredible services they provide, New Avenues for Youth continues to give back to the community every single day.
We are thrilled to work with them as our judging panel. A group of both staff and youth will be coming together to judge your entries; stay tuned!
Check out our blog to learn more.
Design-a-Sock is your chance to tell us what you want on our socks, and maybe win the opportunity to see it produced. It also happens to be one of our favorite times of year! We get to see thousands of amazing designs and interact with all of you in a way we wouldn’t otherwise. That said, we do sometimes need to sleep and eat, so we created this FAQ to answer some of your questions during this busy time. If you don’t find your question here, please leave a comment and we’ll add it!
If you are under 13, a parent, teacher, or legal guardian must submit your entry. This contest is international and open to all ages! Residents of the following countries are not eligible to enter or win: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Burundi, Central African Republic, Croatia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, Kosovo, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Montenegro, Nicaragua, North Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia, Somalia, Sudan/Darfur, South Sudan, Syria, Ukraine/Russia, Venezuela, Yemen, and Zimbabwe, and the contest is void where prohibited by law.
You can both download your entry form and submit your finished design here: https://contest.sockittome.com/. Due to the Coronavirus, we will NOT BE ACCEPTING PAPER/MAILED IN ENTRIES. Please take a photo of your entry and upload it here to be counted.
We are accepting entries 9/8/20 – 9/30/20.
5 designs per person.
We prefer 6 colors per design, because if a sock with more than 6 colors makes it through the voting process to win, we’ll need to adjust the design for production. All judges will use this preference during the contest because our socks cannot be created with more than 6 colors. Black and white are counted as colors.
1st Place: Cash prize of $2,000, and 15 pairs of awesome Sock It to Me socks from our current line, and your design will be manufactured on real socks.
2nd Place: Cash prize of $1,000 and 10 pairs of socks, and your design may be manufactured on real socks, at our discretion.
3rd Place: Cash prize of $500 and 5 pairs of socks, and your design may be manufactured on real socks, at our discretion.
If we produce a winning design, there is no additional compensation to winners.
Winners will be announced 10/12/20.
Sock It to Me judges, including our celebrity judges and our in-house team of experts, will select the top 30 designs from all eligible entries. We will post these chosen 30 on our site https://contest.sockittome.com for our fans to vote from 10/5/20 – 10/11/20 on the top 10 designs. Sock It to Me judges will select the final 3 winners from the top 10. Winners will be announced on our site.
All judging will be based on the following guidelines:
No. If we become aware of a finalist trading goods or services for votes in this contest, they will be disqualified. Promoting your design and asking for votes are both allowed. Details can be found here: FAQs.
Any socks produced, are created with the artist’s permission first. If we like a design that doesn’t win, we’ll contact you to see if you are interested before we move forward with payment and production.
No. Contest entries will not be sent back to you, but we don’t own the rights to submitted contest entry designs: you do. Once winners are chosen, we contact each artist before moving forward with production. We will own the rights to any design we agree to produce on socks. There is no additional compensation to winners beyond the prize.
They will be produced at the same manufacturers we use to create all our socks. They are located in South Korea, where our founder spent time teaching and first discovered fun, vibrant knee socks. We have visited the factories multiple times to ensure fair practices, and we have a close relationship with them. You can read (and see) more about one of the trips here: https://blog.sockittome.com/jays-asia-trip/.
For fun! Our founder, Carrie, created this contest over a decade ago in the fashion of the restaurant coloring contests we all did when we were kids waiting for our food to arrive. We have an amazing, full-time, professional apparel design team who come up with creative and unique sock designs ALL THE TIME (seriously, they are great). This contest is an opportunity for our fans to participate in the process and an opportunity for us to see, directly from our fans, what they think would be cool on a sock.
Yes. If your design is produced, we will send you ten (10) pairs of your designed sock.
Something that we don’t already have (take a look at our current line to see what is already available). Also avoid complex details or gradients as these are difficult to translate onto a sock. You can design any style you want (crew, knee high, etc.), though that might get changed during production.
Yes. You can submit up to 5 designs and the finalists are chosen based on merit, so it’s possible that one artist could end up with 2 designs in the voting period. This isn’t something that has happened frequently in the past, but you never know!
Unfortunately, we aren’t currently set up to offer tours. Our fun sock office will have to remain a mystery! You can take a look behind the scenes here: Behind The Scenes.
1. HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE OR INTERNET ACCESS NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. The Sock It to Me “International Design-A-Sock Contest” (“Contest”) begins 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time (PT) on September 8, 2020 and ends 5:00 p.m. PT on October 12, 2020. All entries must be completed and received by Sock It to Me by September 30, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. PT. Enter online at https://contest.sockittome.com/. No other method of entry will be accepted. Entries for children under age 13 must be submitted by a parent, teacher, or legal guardian.
Online Method: To enter online during the entry period, go to https://contest.sockittome.com/, download entry form, and start designing on the template for knee/crew sock provided. Provide your design title, name, telephone number, and email address (for entrants under 13, your parent/legal guardian’s telephone number and email address), upload the completed entry form, and click submit. Entrants must complete all data requested on the online entry form.
Sock It to Me assumes no responsibility for damaged, stolen, lost, late, misdirected, illegible or mutilated entries or designs for any computer, online, telephone, cable, network, electronic or Internet hardware or software malfunctions, failures, connections, availability, garbled or jumbled transmissions, service provider, Internet, web site, or other accessibility or availability issues, traffic congestion, or unauthorized human intervention, or any technical malfunctions that may occur. Entrants shall be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain name associated with the submitted e-mail address.
2. ELIGIBILITY: This Contest is open to entrants of all ages, but if an entrant is under age 13, a parent, teacher, or legal guardian must enter the design for the child. Employees of Sock It to Me, their subsidiaries, affiliates, prize suppliers, and advertising and promotional agencies of Sock It to Me, and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings and their spouses) and individuals living in the same household as such employees are ineligible. This Contest is governed by the laws of the United States and is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void in the Balkans, Burundi, Central African Republic, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Nicaragua, Somalia, Sudan/Darfur, South Sudan, Syria, Ukraine/Russia, Venezuela, Yemen, Zimbabwe and where prohibited by law. Residents of these countries are not eligible to enter or win.
3. JUDGING: There will be three (3) rounds of judging, considering all of the following criteria in each round to determine winners: (1) simplicity of design (designs that are too complicated or detailed don’t work well on socks); (2) use of a maximum of six colors; (3) use of colors that are flat and solids, NO shading, blending or halftones; (4) use of pattern; (5) use of imagery, themes, patterns, or designs that are different from our current line; and (6) originality. All of these criteria are preferences judges will use during all rounds of judging. (Check out our website for designs that have worked in the past). Rounds of judging: First, on October 2, 2020, a panel of Sock It to Me judges (including Sock It to Me’s designers and celebrity judges) will select thirty (30) semi-finalists from among all eligible entries received between September 8 at 9:00 a.m. PT and September 30, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. On October 5, 2020, the judges will upload to Sock It to Me’s contest website those top thirty (30) designs. Between October 5, 2020 at 9:00 a.m. PT and October 11, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time, Sock It to Me fans, applying the same six judging criteria, will then help determine by vote the top ten (10) finalists from among the thirty semi-finalists. On or about 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time on October 12, 2020, a panel of Sock It to Me judges will select the three (3) final winners from among the ten (10) finalists and announce the winners on Sock It to Me’s contest website. Judging will be conducted at Sock It to Me’s offices, located at 9592 SE Main Street, Milwaukie, OR 97222. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. Odds of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received. All prizes will be awarded. Winners (or in the case of children under 13, his or her parent, teacher, or legal guardian) will be notified via email, and/or telephone.
4. PRIZES: One First Place Winner will receive two thousand dollars ($2000) cash, plus fifteen (15) pairs of socks from Sock It to Me’s current line, plus Sock It to Me will produce the winning design. One Second Place Winner will receive one thousand dollars ($1,000) cash, plus ten (10) pairs of socks from Sock It to Me’s current line, and your winning sock design may be (but is not guaranteed to be) manufactured on real socks, at Sock It to Me’s discretion. One Third Place Winner will receive five hundred dollars ($500) cash, plus five (5) pairs of socks from Sock It to Me’s current line, and your winning sock design may be (but is not guaranteed to be) manufactured on real socks, at Sock It to Me’s discretion. If a winner’s sock design is produced, winner will also receive ten (10) pairs of his or her designed sock. Socks cannot be exchanged for cash, and prizes cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion. Sock It to Me reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event the offered prize is unavailable. No substitution or transfer of prize permitted except as provided herein.
5. GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prize packages are the sole responsibility of the prize winners. Prize winner(s) (or in the case of minors, their parent or legal guardian) will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Prize Acceptance Form/Contract for the winning design(s). Return of any prize and/or prize notification as undeliverable or failure of any entrant to comply with any Official Rules will result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
By entering, winners (and/or their parents or legal guardians) agree that Sock It to Me may use any and aspects of winner’s submitted design, ideas and materials with no additional compensation, and that Sock It to Me is under no obligation to use the design.
By entering, winners (and/or their parents or legal guardians) agree that winner’s design is a work-for-hire for Sock It to Me under U.S. copyright law. To the extent the design is not considered a work made for hire, winners agree to assign Sock It to Me all right, title and witness (including any copyright) in the design.
Winners (and/or their parents or legal guardians) grant Sock It to Me the right to use and publish the winner’s name, designs and state of residence online and in print, or any other media, in connection with the Contest. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for Sock It to Me and their advertising and promotional agencies to use winners’ names and likenesses for editorials, advertising and promotional purposes without payment of additional compensation unless prohibited by law. Each entrant or his or her parent or legal guardian represents and warrants that all designs are entrant’s own work and will not infringe on the rights of any third parties.
By entering, each entrant (and/or their parents or legal guardians) releases and holds harmless Sock It to Me, Facebook, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents and representatives from any and all liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the Contest or any prize won, any misuse or malfunction of any prize awarded, participation in any Contest related activity, or participation in the Contest.
As a condition of participating in this Contest, each entrant (and/or their parents or legal guardians) agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between and the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively, before a court of competent jurisdiction located in Portland, Oregon which court shall apply the laws of the state of Oregon without regard for rules of conflicts of law. In any such dispute, entrant (and/or their parents or legal guardians) shall, under no circumstances, be entitled to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than entrant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (if any) associated with participating in the Contest, and entrant hereby waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
Entrants will be disqualified for engaging in the following actions: (1) manufacturing votes for their entry through the use of software or other technology, for this reason, all IP addresses used to vote will be recorded; (2) promising fans, followers, customers, relatives, friends, or other individuals products or goods in trade for votes. Any entrants found to be engaging in these actions will have their entry removed from the voting process and will be ineligible for all related prizes.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SOCK IT TO ME RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sock It to Me and Facebook are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by web site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Contest, including but not limited to any misprints or typographical errors. Sock It to Me and Facebook assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sock It to Me and Facebook are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line-systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participant’s or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Sock It to Me which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, Sock It to Me reserves the right at their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
IN NO EVENT WILL SOCK IT TO ME, FACEBOOK, THEIR PARENTS, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, AND RELATED COMPANIES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTIONAL AGENCIES, OR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, ATTORNEYS, AGENTS, AND REPRESENTATIVES, BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF PARTICIPANT’S ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE INTERNET SITE https://www.sockittome.com/ OR https://contest.sockittome.com/ OR THE DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING OF MATERIAL FROM SAID SITES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THIS SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
8. This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. Any information provided in connection with this Contest is provided to Sock It to Me, and not to Facebook.